Monday, February 1, 2010

Welcome to the Worst Month in Sports

Happy February everyone, I for one cannot wait until March hits. If you remember I talked about how January 1st was my favorite day of the sports year, well now I'm here to tell you that February is by far the worst month on the sports calendar. Sure it has it's pluses (the Super Bowl, Pitchers and Catchers reporting to Spring Training, the NHL), but those are far outweighed by the fact that there isn't anything else going on that is exciting.  The Super Bowl is only one day of the month, pitchers and catchers reporting is more of a symbol than anything else, and the NHL is hardly covered nationally. Sure the NBA, and College Basketball have the occasional can't miss game but even then wake me when March hits for College Basketball and the NBA is becoming more and more unwatchable.

I would be able to suffer through this month much easier if there was more coverage of hockey on a national level. I blame ESPN for this because as soon as the Super Bowl ends they're already projecting who could be playing in next year's game. Come on, the NFL isn't the only sport out there and I don't need a daily or even hourly helping of football. Focus on hockey a little more and help people understand the game better and get a better following of it.

The lull of this month is going to be hard to get through but keep telling yourself that pitchers and catchers are reporting soon, the weather will start to warm up and all will be good in the world again when March hits and we have college basketball hysteria upon us. February is the shortest month of the year, I for one am thankful that I only have to suffer for a limited time.

No comments:

Post a Comment