Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Big Hurt Calls it a Career

(Baseball Evolution)


Frank Thomas is being honored with a Lifetime Achievement award on Comcast SportsNet tonight and it just so happens that he is officially retiring from the game of baseball as well. I wanted to use this space to just congratulate the man who I looked up to while he played in Chicago and finished his career in Oakland and Toronto. 2005 was the greatest year for Sox fans, and even though Frank didn't play much when he did he left me with a lot of great memories. He had an OPS of .905 in just 34 games, slugged .590 and hit 12 home runs in that limited time. He has back-to-back MVPs (he should have a third but some cheater named Giambi roided his way to the 2000 MVP), a batting title, a 5 time all-star, and 4 silver sluggers. He's 15th all-time in OPS, 18th All-Time in home runs, and 22nd All-Time in RBIs.

Frank Thomas is a first ballot Hall of Famer and should be commended for playing the game PED-free. Thank you Frank for being a great hitter and getting me interested in not only the White Sox, but the game of baseball. Anyone up for a roadtrip to Cooperstown around say 2014? Here's to you Frank, you were to me what Michael Jordan was and is to so many people. I'd stop what I was doing just to see what you would do in your next at bat. You were the epitome of what the White Sox stand for, underrated greatness, the hype is never there nationally but my god you just did your work day in and day out and it was for the pure love of the game, not the notoriety. Enjoy retirement Big Frank, and thank you again for all you gave me as a baseball and White Sox fan.

(MITAdmissions.org)


No comments:

Post a Comment