Monday, January 4, 2010

The Road to Miami: Who Will Play in the Super Bowl?

 Saturday is the start of the NFL Playoffs and we have 3 of the 4 games this weekend as rematches from last weekend. Here's how I see the playoffs shaking out:

Wild Card Weekend
Cincinnati Bengals over New York Jets: I know the Jets took it to the Bengals last night, but I think Cincinnati was looking to rest more starters than to win. I know Chad Ochocinco was held in check by Darrelle Revis, but I think Ochocinco breaks out of Revis Island this Saturday and the Bengals defense loads the box to force Mark Sanchez to throw the ball for the Jets to win.

Dallas Cowboys over Philadelphia Eagles: This is an interesting game to pick, I'll say it right now that I just flat out don't like the Cowboys but they have been playing well as of late and I think they'll find a way to win a playoff game.

Baltimore Ravens over New England Patriots: The loss of Wes Welker is huge for the Patriots and I think it will make this game even easier for the Ravens to win. Expect the Ravens to pound the ball with Willis McGahee and Ray Rice.

Green Bay Packers over Arizona Cardinals: We've seen lately that when teams get hot they are very dangerous in the playoffs. It's hard to argue that the Packers aren't the hottest team in NFC or NFL for that matter. A top 5 defense coupled with the weapons on offense make the Packers an extremely dangerous team.

Divisional Round
Baltimore Ravens over Indianapolis Colts: I don't think the Colts are going to be sharp after basically giving their starters 3 weeks off. That paired with the Ravens' defense and running game, I like Baltimore to advance to the AFC Championshp Game.

San Diego Chargers over Cincinnati Bengals: If the Packers aren't the hottest team going into the playoffs then it has to be the Chargers. Phillip Rivers has played extremely well and will make it hard for anyone to go into San Diego and win.

Minnesota Vikings over Dallas Cowboys: The Vikings look to have figured out what was bothering everyone, or at least realized to cover it up for the playoffs and come together. Playing at home will help immensely, and the Vikings should win.

Green Bay Packers over New Orleans Saints: As a Bears fan it pains me to pick the Packers over the Saints, but again, they're clicking on offense and defense and the Saints are struggling.

Championship Weekend
San Diego Chargers over Baltimore Ravens: Ron Rivera has improved the Chargers defense and when you get to the playoffs a running game and a defense is what is needed to win and the Chargers and Ravens both have that by the boatloads. I think playing at home will benefit the Chargers and I think Phillip Rivers will make a few more plays than Joe Flacco and that will be the difference.

Green Bay Packers over Minnesota Vikings: I'm not even factoring in how difficult it is to beat the same team three times because I don't think these are the same Green Bay Packers as when the Vikings played them. The offensive line has played a lot better for the Packers and I think the aggressiveness of Favre and the fumleitis that Adrian Peterson is prone to will hurt the Vikings at some point.

Super Bowl Sunday
San Diego Chargers over Green Bay Packers: Did you really think I'd pick the Packers to win it all? Child Please! While I don't like Phillip Rivers, I think he's a good quarterback and will cement himself in people's minds that he is a very very good quarterback and he belongs in the conversation with Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, and Jay Cutler as the next tier of great quarterbacks behind Brady and Manning as the game's elite.

No comments:

Post a Comment